BIA CARES AWARDS
BIA Cares Gives Awards for Construction Projects at the Greater S.D. Engineering & Science Fair
This spring, BIA Cares once again awarded prizes to middle school students competing in the Greater San Diego Science and Engineering Fair. BIA Cares industry professionals judge middle school categories pertaining to the construction industry and award cash prizes for those science projects dealing with construction-related problems.
“BIA Cares participates in the Science Fair every year in the hopes of encouraging the next generation to continue fostering an interest in the construction and real estate related fields,” says Pete Reeb, Principal with John Burns Real Estate Consulting, who is also a BIA Cares past president and Life Director.
Reeb has chaired the judging of the Greater San Diego Science Fair for 19 years for BIA Cares; awarding over $15,400 in prizes. Pete Reeb was joined by BIA Cares Judges: David Norvell (Pardee Homes), Tina Villa (Design Line Interiors), and Veronica Martinez (H.G. Fenton Company).
This year a total of $1,200 in FIRST PLACE awards were given to 2 high school and 3 middle school students:
- Isabella Catanzaro, Cathedral Catholic High School – “Heat Transfer Optimization for Home Insulation?”
- Remy Reeb, Cathedral Catholic High School – “Reducing the Incidence of Scald Burns in Children Age Five and Under.”
- Elea Castiglione, Grant Middle School – “Green Roofs – Does Having Plants on Roofs Affect Internal Conditions?”
- Elizabeth Collum, Coastal Academy, “Hurricane Proof House”
- Garrett Warner, Rhoades School, “Effects of Base Isolators on Building Stability”