President/CEO, San Diego Habitat for Humanity
About San Diego Habitat for Humanity:
Since 1988, San Diego Habitat for Humanity (SDHFH) has been working with community partners, government agencies, volunteers, and civically-minded corporations to provide safe affordable homeownership housing for economically disenfranchised people and veterans. Active throughout the region, we build, repair, and weatherize housing; promote sound environmental practices; develop and advocate for affordable housing policies; help create vibrant community spaces; and provide other services – most notably, a retail store – that contribute to building the capacity of the people, communities, and families we serve. SDHFH operates with an annual organizational budget of approximately $3.5 million and a construction budget of $3-6 million.
SDHFH is an independent nonprofit organization that is part of an international network of organizations dedicated to advancing human dignity through shelter. While we are historically rooted in Christian social justice values, we are spiritually inclusive. SDHFH welcomes anyone regardless of race, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, political views, or any of the other distinctions that too often divide people. We are dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion.
SDHFH is led by an active board of 19 prominent civic leaders who work with the President/CEO to steward our organization. Forty plus full-time staff dedicate themselves to our work along with thousands of volunteers. Learn more at https://www.sandiegohabitat.org/
Overview of the Job:
The President/CEO is an experienced leader and manager with the vision, expertise, and commitment to advancing affordable housing throughout the San Diego region. As someone who excels at stakeholder engagement, the President/CEO has a track record of successful collaboration with public officials at all levels of government, as well as with bankers, community leaders, staff, donors, and volunteers. A calculated risk-taker, the President/CEO has an ability to develop and manage financial transactions that can be deployed to advance Habitat’s core objective of enabling home ownership for those with limited means. This executive is a change agent who has built and lead high-performing teams, and an advocate, fundraiser, and public speaker who inspires and motivates others to act. The President/CEO is a hands-on leader who is attentive to the financial operations and skilled at working in partnership with the staff and Board to steward the work of the organization into the future.
Among the President/CEO’s many duties, this leader is responsible for:
Strategic and Collaborative Leadership
- Collaborating with banks, major funders, and community partners on initiatives that advance SDHFH’s mission and the cause of affordable housing in general
- Partnering with top elected and appointed officials at all levels of government to create opportunities for creating and preserving affordable housing
- Working with internal and external stakeholders to negotiate the financial and logistical details of projects
- Providing on-going strategic recommendations to the Board based on issues and trends in the field, staff input/expertise, creativity, financial analysis and projections, risk assessment, and environment realities
- Engaging senior staff and program managers in transparent and supportive conversations that energize them and produce new strategies for approaching the work
- Actively supporting diversity, equity and inclusion efforts across the organization
- Collaborating with Habitat for Humanity organizations throughout California and the United States.
Public Relations and Advocacy
- Raising the visibility of SDHFH through public events, public speaking engagement and media messaging that compels action
- Engaging the public and public policy makers in advocacy efforts that advance the mission of SDHFH and affordable housing in general
Leadership and Management
- Building a positive workplace culture that fosters diversity, equity, inclusion, cohesion and innovation among SDHFH’s staff and volunteers while carrying those values and practices throughout the greater San Diego community
- Overseeing the financial and operational activities of the organization
- Operating with transparency and accountability at the Board level
- Working closely with the Board of Directors to ensure SDHFH’s fiduciary and compliance responsibilities are fulfilled in a transparent and responsible manner.
- A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, to lead by example, a passion for creating change, and dedication to affordable housing
- Proven facility to work with complex finances
- Proven executive-level experience communicating, negotiating, and collaborating with a variety of internal and external stakeholders including public agencies, financial institutions, peer nonprofits, foundations, community leaders, etc.
- A track record of raising funds for a mission-driven organization
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Prior experience supervising, coaching and mentoring a senior staff team
- The ability to speak persuasively to the media and to audiences of all types
- Advance degree preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
The ideal candidate has a background in real estate, affordable housing, mortgage financing and successfully managing complex development projects.
Salary range: $175,000 – $200,000. Benefits provided
Posting Expiration Date: August 31 5:00pm PDT.
How to Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter via email to: Search@patlibby.com (enter SDHFH in the subject line). Applications without a cover letter will NOT be accepted.
SDHFH is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity and inclusion in its work and staff.